Monthly Archives: June 2019

Holroyd cabbie Hassan honoured for bravery

Posted on by

Merrylands cabbie Hassan Chahrouk was recognised in the Australian Bravery Awards today. Picture: Natalie Roberts.When taxi driver Hassan Chahrouk spotted a burning house in Merrylands last year, he hit the brakes.
南京夜网

As flames and smoke billowed from the Como Street home, a distressed young woman pointed frantically inside from the front lawn.

Without hesitation, Mr Chahrouk leapt from his cab and followed her finger into the flames to save the day, emerging minutes later carrying an 87-year-old wheelchair-bound great grandmother, who had been unconcious inside.

‘‘There was no stopping me from going in,’’ recalled Mr Chahrouk, 45.

‘‘Then the police arrived and the fire brigade arrived, so I continued driving and dropped off my passenger.’’

Today, the father of five received a commendation for his act of bravery from the Commonwealth Governor General Sir Peter Cosgrove in the Australian Honours bravery awards.

Asked if he’d do it again, the 45-year-old said he ‘‘absolutely’’ would, ‘‘without a doubt’’.

‘‘If you can help somebody, you do it,’’ he said.

Hassan’s daughter, Jehan Chahrouk, 12, of Wentworthville, said she was very proud to call Mr Chahrouk her dad.

‘‘I’m very proud of him and I’m very glad nothing bad happened to him, he’s just a really good dad,’’ Jehan said.

A spokesman from Holroyd police thanked Mr Chahrouk for his heroic efforts on behalf of the local area command.

‘‘Without his assistance, the outcome of this event could have been tragic… Anytime someone is prepared to go and help their fellow man, it deserves recognition, so on behalf of the police, thank you very much,’’ the spokesman said.

The elderly woman was treated at Westmead Hospital for smoke inhallation and recovered from the ordeal.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Mark Kruger not required for 2015 Farrer season: Temora

Posted on by

Temora coach Mark Kruger has been told he isn’t required by the club past the current season.Farrer League
南京夜网

TEMORA has made the shock decision to part ways with the man who brought the club from zero to hero and delivered consecutive Farrer League premierships.

Mark Kruger sat down with the Kangaroos committee on Thursday night and was told his coaching services will not be required past the current season.

It ends a three-year relationship with Temora.

After arriving at the club in November 2011, Kruger took the Roos from the bottom of the competition to their first flag in 52 years.

He went on to lead them to premierships in 2012 and 2013, and is currently shooting for three in a row as Temora sits second on the ladder one week out from finals.

He told The Daily Advertiser a fortnight ago he wouldn’t be making a decision on his future until after the current season.

But Temora’s committee made the decision for him.

Kruger admitted he had been partially blindsided by Thursday’s announcement.

But he denied any talk of ill-feeling between coach and club.

“It definitely came as a bit of a shock, I won’t deny that,” Kruger said.

“But I knew the process was happening…I actually promoted to the club three of four weeks ago that they should pursue any avenues they wanted to pursue.

“Some members of the committee were of the opinion four years would be too long.

“I’m disappointed, and I don’t necessarily agree with it…(but) I’m in total support of their decision.

Mark Kruger”We had a three-year plan and Mark has certainly over achieved.”

Temora FNCThis story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Luck flows as Pamplona runs to victory

Posted on by

RUN TO THE LINE: Garry Harpley urges Pamplona to the line, finished a head in front of the Shaun Snudden-trained Cams Victories. Pictures: Michael Frogley.Harness racing
南京夜网

LUCK was on the side of father and son combination Darcy and Garry Harpley at the Wagga Showground.

The Temora team combined to win the opening event on the big 12-race card with two-year-old filly Pamplona ($9.30).

In her fourth start, the daughter of John Street North was able to steer clear of early trouble before coming three wide to score a narrow victory.

Holding off the fast finishing Cams Victories ($3.20) she held on by a head to bring up her first win.

Driver Garry knew a win was within her grasp, but needed a bit of luck to go her way.

“We were probably unlucky not to win our first start, then we got checked in our second start before she overraced at Young,” Garry said.

“She’s been working very well and we just needed to get a bit of luck to go our way.

“We were lucky as a horse galloped on the turn and we missed it and in the last few weeks we’ve been getting run into.”

After a disappointing performance after overracing at Young last Saturday, the filly was forced to re-qualify.

Changing some gear including adding hopple shorteners and deafeners saw a big improvement, and the Harpleys were thankful steward for Travis Quickcoming to Temora so they could re-qualify her on Monday.

WINNING RETURN: Garry Harpley comes back victorious with two-year-old filly Pamplona for father Darcy Harpley at Wagga yesterday.

It’s been a long journey for the Harpleys to get the filly on the track, after having a lot of troublewith her dam Maid Of Misfortune.

The aptly-named Brioso Hanover mare was also bred by the Harpleys, but things never went right.

“We bred this horse’s mother and she kept hurting herself,” Garry said.

“She hurt herself as a foal, hurt herself as a yearling then she broke down as a five-year-old so we took her to stud so it’s probably been 13 years since that initial first breeding that we got one to the races.”

With a name synonymous with harness racing in the Riverina, Darcy and Garry have been taking more of a back step of late, focusing on breeding and pre-training before moving horses to other trainers.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Small crowd attends ceremony to mark victory in the Pacific

Posted on by

END OF THE WAR: Returned Services League representative Les McGaw and Councillor Ron Gander lay a wreath on the cenotaph at yesterday’s service to mark the end of the war in the Pacific. Photo: STEVE GOSCHIT was a day like no other, August 15, 1945 when the shops and businesses in Orange closed their doors and people flooded into Summer Street to celebrate the end of the war in the Pacific.
南京夜网

It was a conflict that affected almost every family in Orange, with almost a million Australians, both men and women, serving in World War II.

But in contrast to the growing number of people gathering to commemorate Anzac Day, Remembrance Day and Vietnam Veterans Day in Orange, only a handful of people gathered at the Cenotaph to stand beside ex-service personnel and RSL representatives to mark Victory in the Pacific (VP) Day.

RSL president Lindsay Wright said Orange celebrated a two-day holiday when victory in the Pacific was declared.

“It was Prime Minister Ben Chifley who made the announcement just after 9am,” he said.

An elderly Orange resident who was working at the Western Stores in Summer Street at the time said VP Day was unique.

“Someone ran into the shop and said the war was over,” she said.

“We shut the doors and went out into Summer Street and other people were doing the same.

“By the end of the day when the message had got around Orange people just all came down in to Summer Street and it was a great atmosphere.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

ICAC: Local government minister urges Jeff McCloy to “consider his position”

Posted on by

Local government minister Paul Toole. Pic: Peter RaeICAC: August 2014 archive, Operation Spicer
南京夜网

LOCAL government minister Paul Toole has urged Jeff McCloy to consider stepping down as mayor, warning “every possible legal avenue” would be explored.

“As Minister for Local Government, I expect every Mayor and Councillor in NSW to adhere to the highest standards of honesty and integrity,” Mr Toole said.

“That is why I am today urging Newcastle Lord Mayor Jeff McCloy to consider his position.”

“We are looking at every possible legal avenue to ensure the needs of the Newcastle community are put first.”

Mr Toole’s statement, released on Friday afternoon, follows his earlier calls on Tuesday for Cr McCloy to step aside.

Premier Mike Baird also said Cr McCloy should consider his position on Tuesday while urging former MPsAndrew Cornwell and Tim Owen to stand down from parliament.